2.17.2006

Unfortunately, I can't allude to the great yogurt pickup line. Sorry for the Bond reference, had to - especially with the news of the new Bond girl. Gotta say, she looks a bit cracked-out for my taste; sickly looking, at least in that CNN photo. That isn't to say she's a junkie - just looks the role.

Now to the pith. Today, I walked into the stacks looking for images (as close to original publications as possible) for a timeline one of my colleagues is working on for an exhibit. One of the items we have is a rare, handwritten copy of a very famous poem - and it will be displayed in the exhibit. It is, possibly, one of the most valuable items in the entire collection - and I touched it. I should be more specific: I touched the custom made archival casing for it. Why do I differentiate? Because even just picking the item up (in a case specifically made to keep it safe from the likes of me) made me physically shiver. Despite recent life-altering events, I like to consider myself fairly solid (somewhere between here and here, maybe here). But even still, just the thought of handling something that is worth more than my life shook me.

so what, somebody left you in a rut
and wants to be the one who's in control
but the feeling that you're under can really make you wonder
how the hell she can be so cold
The Denial Twist by The White Stripes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home